Powered by Invision Power Board
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  ( Go to first unread post )
Admirals And Captains
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Kuro-chan
Posted: Aug 27 2004, 11:31 PM

Lieutenant

Group: Members
Member No.: 66

Glad to be of assistance. If there is any other way to help out, let me know, please. ^_^

--------------------
- Kuro-chan
- http://www.kuro-rpg.net
(If you catch this, Spike, the website address has changed.)

Peregrinus
Posted: Feb 4 2006, 07:12 AM

Unregistered

Let's don't bring the timeline into this. There are too many cooks in that kitchen. I, myself, have written an essay that shows TWOK to take place in at least 2284, and mor elikely 2285, with "Space Seed" being fifteen years earlier (2270) and, as Nick Meyer wrote that TWOK was around Kirk's fiftieth birthday, that measn Kirk was 34 or so in TOS' first season (which jibes with the writers' bible/TMoST) and was born in 2235 (which jibes with his being ten when the Enterprise was launched, as recounted in the novel FInal Frontier).

And knowing a bit about ales, fermentation, and the like, one to two years is most certainly not unreasonable.

And after all, "Generations" is set in 2293. And so on and so forth, for several pages of data points and dating referents.

If enough people feel strongly enough about the subject, start a thread in a different area. We're here to discuss who's who, not who's when.

And on that note, I've got a couple I think were missed, but my notes are presently unavailable (computer problems).

--Jonah

TheKevinShow
Posted: Aug 10 2006, 06:34 AM

Lieutenant

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Peregrinus @ Feb 3 2006, 10:12 PM)
Let's don't bring the timeline into this. There are too many cooks in that kitchen. I, myself, have written an essay that shows TWOK to take place in at least 2284, and mor elikely 2285, with "Space Seed" being fifteen years earlier (2270) and, as Nick Meyer wrote that TWOK was around Kirk's fiftieth birthday, that measn Kirk was 34 or so in TOS' first season (which jibes with the writers' bible/TMoST) and was born in 2235 (which jibes with his being ten when the Enterprise was launched, as recounted in the novel FInal Frontier).

And knowing a bit about ales, fermentation, and the like, one to two years is most certainly not unreasonable.

And after all, "Generations" is set in 2293. And so on and so forth, for several pages of data points and dating referents.

If enough people feel strongly enough about the subject, start a thread in a different area. We're here to discuss who's who, not who's when.

And on that note, I've got a couple I think were missed, but my notes are presently unavailable (computer problems).

--Jonah

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but there's a hole in your theory almost immediately: TMP takes place in 2270. Kirk's five year mission started in 2265 and ended in 2270, meaning that Space Seed had to take place sometime before 2270.

Peregrinus
Posted: Aug 12 2006, 12:00 AM

Unregistered

Did you even read my post? I already said the official timeline is wrong. Even Mike Okuda, who created the official timeline, admits he picked 2265 arbitrarily, and not based on any data points gleaned from the shows.

I go by finished episodes and films, scripts, and writers' bibles -- in that order of precedence. When two points conflict, I go with the source higher on the chain. If two episodes conflict, I go with the one that was done first. If there is anything from novels, comics, or role-playing games that fits both mood and facts, I then include that to fill blanks.

One instance of Icheb giving dates for Kirk's mission gleaned from Okuda's arbitrary chronology collapses under spoken references in Star Trek II, combined with the script for same, as well as the Star Trek Writer's Guide. All of that was out there for decades, but Mike Okuda didn't have the time to scour all the data points available. He was working on a weekly TV show, after all.

I pulled nothing from my nether reagions. I have evaluated all the source material I can lay hands on. There is no hole in my reasoning. There is, however, one in Mike's. He had no reason, basis, or evidence to warrant his choice to set the Original Series exactly 300 years after their original airdates. He just did it. I don't work that way.

--Jonah

TheKevinShow
Posted: Aug 18 2006, 08:14 AM

Lieutenant

Member No.: 103

The thing is though, he's a crew member for the show. That automatically means he's more correct than you.

34 replies since Nov 30 2003, 03:12 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (3) 1 2 [3] 
<< Back to Officers

[ Script Execution time: 0.0080 ]   [ 10 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]